QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

Discussion?

hippiefly

Discussion?

Post  hippiefly on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

I was under the impression that this site is a place of understanding. A place to come and ask question you seek answers to. A place to help other people understand ideals they may not necessarily agree with.

This is not what I'm seeing. The point of Socratic seminar is to gain a mutual understanding of a particular idea, not only if that idea is your idea. Yes, there is some very good discussion going on, and I understand we are all still learning this process, but I'm seeing a whole lot of attacking and not a lot of understanding. Sure, it's kinda hard to stay objective when it comes to talking about something like religion, but you don't have to drown your words in bias (which I am also seeing).

Maybe I am over-reacting (which is totally possible). But I assumed that's what the point of this forum was, to complain.

Just my two cents. (Why do we have a dollar sign on the keyboard but not cents?)
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Re: Discussion?

Post  F.M.H.B. on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 am

Because people generally care about dollars more than sense.

Could you please be specific in your examples so we can understand more what you mean. I've been trying to be better, but it is also hard when no one else is posting new content. I'm not talking about replies and stuff, I mean new threads. I feel like the only one asking questions.

Bias is hard to remove, and it is part of the socratic way to try to remove that. Some comments are honestly taken harshly cus you cant communicate otherwise through a screen.

The issue as I see it is our lack of posting, our plateau of member growth, combined with our few active members who post again and again at each other which can lead to a certain competetiveness all boils to not having very socratic or mutually understanding discussions.

We're all guilty of it in some way. I especially feel bad because I feel like people are now afraid to respond to anything I post, which kills every thread I start before we talk. I'm sorry, but I'm a lot more understanding than people may think.
    she

Post  she on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 am

Speaking as someone who is probably doing a lot of the attacking, I'll try to back off, and be more understanding of other people's views. I know what you mean, it can be infuriating to listen to two people talk, not hearing what each other is saying.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Hippiefly, is there a way you could find those rules?
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I have a very large box full of papers from just about every class every year of high school (kind of a pack-rat, I also keep it in case I get to teach one day). I have not yet had a chance to go through them. I should have the rules Monday, if that is acceptable?

Also, I find this 'attacking' mostly in the Christian vs Atheist threads, although that's kind of expected.

Also also, when I find some of our old seminars, I will post the questions up here. So you won't have to be the ONLY one posting (not that you are anyways...).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:48 pm