The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

+4
she
asortafairytale
hippiefly
Avalon
8 posters

favorite movie?

Avalon
    Avalon

favorite movie? Empty favorite movie?

Post  Avalon Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:49 pm

tell me your favorite movie and why! I will start.
    Usual Suspects has a great cast, good lines, and a kickass twist if no one has ruined it for you ahead of time. You will need to see it at least 5 times to pick up on all the little things.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

favorite movie? Empty Re: favorite movie?

Post  hippiefly Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 pm

The Illusionist took me like, 4 tries before I caught most everything. And I still see new things when I watch it. And Edward Norton is HOTTT.

But...I have the hardest time picking favorites. Usually, I pick multiple genres and then pick my favorite from each genre.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:27 am

see I the the prestige was better than the illusionist cause the ending was not obvious. I could see exactly where they were going in illusion but had no idea until the very end how they made the tricks work. But the orange tree was pretty cool.
    asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:05 am

It's hard for me to pick favorites too, but I usually rank them with how often I can rewatch them without getting sick of it. Here are some of my favorites:

Star Wars (A New Hope)
    Princess Bride
    Serenity
    Aladdin

I love happy endings. Quotability is also important.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 am

Avalon wrote:see I the the prestige was better than the illusionist cause the ending was not obvious. I could see exactly where they were going in illusion but had no idea until the very end how they made the tricks work. But the orange tree was pretty cool.

I have never seen The Prestige. Suppose I should.

asortafairytale wrote:It's hard for me to pick favorites too, but I usually rank them with how often I can rewatch them without getting sick of it. Here are some of my favorites:

Star Wars (A New Hope)
    Princess Bride
    Serenity
    Aladdin

I love happy endings. Quotability is also important.

World History ruined Aladdin for me. And--DON'T SHOOT ME--I have never seen Star Wars.

Princess Bride is fantastic though. As is Serenity.

Movies I can watch over and over again and won't get bored of:
    ANY Miyazaki film
    Moulin Rouge
    House of Flying Daggers
    101 Dalmatians

Yeah, idk what else...
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:35 am

i love star wars. I think return of the jedi is my favorite just cause Luke finally gets it together <3 Pan's Labyrinth is also great. That is easily my favorite foreign film. And hippiefly you should see star wars if for no other reason than cultural reference Smile
    asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I didn't like the Prestige. Or what I saw of it. It's probably mainly because I got too upset when they killed the little bird.
    All the original Star Wars movies are great. A New Hope has just always been my favorite. You should definitely see them.
    she
    she

Post  she Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:15 pm

I can't choose favorite movies, but I do love movies with incredibly poignant endings that make me cry (I don't know why, but I just do).

But I can rank movies based on this: There are three collections of movie that of which I want to have the complete set by the time I have children so that they can revel in the awesome:

All the Miyazaki movies
    All The Pixar movies
    All the Muppets movies

They are just so great and I want my kids to be influenced by their emotional depth even at a young age so they can absorb it young. Smile

Hmmm.... there was never a time in my memory when I didn't know DV was Luke's father. And for like the first 8 years of my life, I didn't realize it was a trilogy; I thought it was all one really long movie. Whenever I see A new Hope and it ends where it does... I feel stunted. ^_^

I loved Shrek for a long time. Had the whole thing memorized in sixth grade from watching it every week.

But there are too many truly amazing movie for me to pic a favorite. Among top recent films:
    Shutter Island
    Toy Story 3
    Knight and Day
    Inception
    goku518
    goku518

Post  goku518 Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 pm

For those of you who really enjoyed Inception, please do me a favor and watch Paprika. It's an anime film that came out several years ago that I here is almost the exact same story. It's an amazing movie and absolutely beautiful. Please watch it.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Hmm. Favorite movie, huh? I really don't have a favorite, but, if I had to pick one, it would be Coraline.
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30 pm

GOOD CHOICE.

That is one of the few movies, I have to say, that rivaled the book it is based on in quality. And Neil Gaiman is a fantastic writer.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 am

she wrote:GOOD CHOICE.

That is one of the few movies, I have to say, that rivaled the book it is based on in quality. And Neil Gaiman is a fantastic writer.

I know! I think the reason why it was able to rival the book is because Neil Gaiman helped develop the story of the movie also.
    she
    she

Post  she Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Precisely! Book-Movies are always better when the author is in on it. Very Happy
    HeSheItWeThey
    HeSheItWeThey

Post  HeSheItWeThey Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 am

I would have to say that my favorite movie is My Best Friends Wedding or First Wives Club. The leading ladies in both of them are amzing and the storylines are fantastic.
    karatebabs

favorite movie? Empty Favorite Movie...

Post  karatebabs Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:44 am

It is hard to decide...so many categories...first would be..
    The Wizard of Oz...it is fun scary (that witch on the broom..ugghhh) and give hope for correcting mistakes big or small. And my favorite character is Glinda because she is the perfect Manager - teaches skills, gives people room and is there in the end to help if needed.

Then it would be White Christmas, Galaxy Quest, Rocky Horror, and any Star Trek.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content