The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

+2
HolyArchangel
F.M.H.B.
6 posters

Forum Format

F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Forum Format Empty Forum Format

Post  F.M.H.B. Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 am

Currently, I have the forum divided into several sections, but the ones I have not revealed are the ones I am concerned with. They are:

The Lincoln Wing, devoted to team specific debates, and other fun and organized discussions for points (more on that at a later time).

The Platonic Wing, dedicated to formal debate in classic style, replete with rebuttals and back and forth monitored talk on issues.

and finally,

The Socratic Wing, designed to be a step down from the order of the Platonic Wing, but where discussion is still kept within the bounds of the Socratic method and forum rules.

For the last two, I was thinking there would be specific sections devoted to politics, religions, etc., while the Lincoln Wing would have specific challenges and fun other games of debate. Now, this system of organization is subject to change, as I want input from people. If you guys think that this is the easiest way to do this, then the format will be kept. If you guys want it different, tell me.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Forum Format Empty Re: Forum Format

Post  HolyArchangel Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:10 pm

You should have the last two sections related to Politics/Beliefs and Entertainment. Under Politics/Beliefs would be discussions about, well, politics, but also religion etc. Entertainment would be discussions about what tech is better than what; computers and video games would fall under this section.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 pm

I like the idea of the Socratic Wing (as I'm a student of Fuller and like Socratic Seminar). I don't know if I understand the difference between the Socratic Wing and the Platonic Wing, though... :/
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 pm

The Socratic Wing is more a place for open discussion where anyone can contribute in any order. The Platonic is more for formal debate, like with rebuttals and orders, possibly certain topics limited to specific people only for a couple times. Formal and structured for the Platonic, informal but still serious for the Socratic. Make sense?
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Lawl. I love how you put in the Socratic wing and the Platonic Wing. XD I have read absolutely none of Socrates' work, however I have read the Dialogues of Plato. And from what my Philosophy teacher has said, Plato basically just wrote everything as if Socrates had said it, even if they were his own ideas (and most were). So essentailly a Socratic Seminar = a Platonic Seminar. But those are just technicalities. =P

I agree with the Political Beliefs page and the Entertainment idea. The Political Beliefs page could be dubbed the Parthenon (to stick with the greek theme), as it was technically a temple to Athena, but was also the Political HQ of Athens. And as for entertainment, well that calls for a witty video game reference. =P
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Theatron? It's Greek.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Jake, Plato was also the political one, and technically could be classified as the first major debater. Socrates was a talker, a conversationalist, who also caused great strife by asking questions in a discursive setting. Just some more technicalities. Very Happy

And I think I may change the names to Theatron and Parthenon. Hmmm. Keep it going, peeps.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:44 am

The differences between the Platonic and Socratic wings makes sense. Plato was vastly more structured, and he made a point out of that. Socrates was, as has already been said, more of a conversationalist. I personally take more after Socrates than Plato in my arguments if only because I think too much rigidity will stem the flow of intelligence, and make a person sooner secondguess their format rather than their point.

All in all, I approve of the three wings idea.
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Upon further analysis, I have to agree with you. Even though Socrates was a primary vehicle in most of Plato's writing (that I've read at least), he always had very clear directive in mind with whatever topic he chose to write about. Socrates always just played devil's advocate as much as possible with whomever chose to talk to him.
    she
    she

Post  she Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Could we please stop saying Platonic and Socratic? The first makes it sound like we're just friends with that board, and the second... Well, every time you say it, I think "Gee, that board will just be everybody asking questions at each other." May I suggest: Platoic and Socretean? That way you are making a new word to fit, not just taking a word with a different meaning that sounds like it could work.

And as for the two philosophers, it basically boils down to this: Socrates wandered the lands of Greece, going from house to house trading his new thinking and logic for food and lodgings. Anything of his that has survived up to now was written up by plato, who attributed most if not all of his writings to Socrates, his teacher. So it makes sense that the sort of stumbling, informal discussions would be named after Socrates, and the more structured ones after Plato. Smile
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:14 pm

she wrote:Socrates wandered the lands of Greece, going from house to house trading his new thinking and logic for food and lodgings. Anything of his that has survived up to now was written up by plato, who attributed most if not all of his writings to Socrates, his teacher.

Actually, Socrates never left the city of Athens unless it was for military service. He was married and had his own home. He did not trade his thinking and logic for food and lodging as that would go against his own philosophical way of life. He believed the city was a living entity and that to betray it by leaving or destroying it, would cause the city to take up vengeance for his betrayal. As for his philosophical debates, questions were not the only way he expressed his philosophical ideas. Agreed, he would first question others beliefs, but, then he would offer his own insight by pointing out the flawed logic of there own. That is how Socrates debated and that is why he is a magnificent philosopher. Also, it is called Socratic because of the informalities of the debates and to honour the great philosopher.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Heheh. To add further clarity, Socrates didn't ask people for their insight with the intention of bettering them... he baited arrogant people into telling him about themselves, and then he made a fool of them to the public, as a means of teaching a humble attitude, as well as furthering various philosophies.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Platonic and Socratic are adjectives here. Words have different meanings. I'll consider the change, though.
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Okay, fine, Socrates wandered the lands of Athens. That better? In any case, you cannot deny that the socratic method is where you answer a question with another question. And thank you for understanding and at least considering it. That's all i can really ask for.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am