QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

Religious Hate

Singlej

Re: Religious Hate

Post  Singlej on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:24 am

F.M.H.B. wrote:
    Singlej wrote:And that's the problem with this in general.. Too much attacking. I thought I presented my argument in a way that was pointing out without malice my viewpoint. I think it's unfortunate that we've resolved to biting comments and rebuttals belittling opposing viewpoints.

I don't actually remember doing any of that to you. If you have a problem or would like to point it out, though, you can submit it here: http://thecolloquium.forumotion.com/the-complaint-couch-f29/

Because, as you said, hate tends to be bad.

But before that lead in to my next point, an inquiry:
    "Worship is the continuous outpouring of all that I am, all that I do and all that I can ever become in light of a chosen or choosing god."

What exactly is that from? Link? Who is Best? A little background to your information.

Please post. Anyways.

You seem to labor under the opinion, not the fact, that Christianity has the only legitimate god, and thus is the only legitimate religion. I want to know where this from. No, I don't want more inane things about the line of Noah and whatnot. Believe it or not, I'm actually familiar with that.

What I want is an answer, or at least an idea or discussion, about why you believe the Christian god is more legitimate and thus more real than nearly 74,000 years of prior worship to thousands of other gods. A bit of a set up, but I feel that this is pretty much the source of this inquiry.

So, if you would kindly.

She, I think that that's probably true. The point of it is not that it is so much THE god, but YOUR god, but that itself is not a legitimate reason for going around claiming the former whenever you feel all powerful. One of the issues with Christianity in that respect is that it invests a lot of focus in it being the only true religion, and Jesus' word being the only one to follow. There have been thousands of prophets and gods, which therefore means that in that see of All Fathers and Patriarchs one cannot be above the other if it claims to also be a god.

You cannot merely dismiss another god by just calling it a demon. It's still a god, still worshiped, and still followed religiously. Just because you say it is a demon does not make is so.

Unless of course, it does. In which case the whole thing just fucks itself over and nothing can ever be known by anyone.

Well first off I posted two quotes by Harold Best. If you see I put his first and last name by the first quote and just his last name by the second.

Are you kidding ? You HATE Christianity. And you make it known. I thought this could be fun especially because fundamentally everyone is misunderstanding the basis of Christian beliefs in this forum and in the world. It's at the point where it's not even worth providing where I'm coming from because it's frustrating to see something that you hold so dearly be misunderstood. I like to stand up for what I believe in (and not just me; theologians and scholars agree. I most always provide references..) but this is just getting to be too much.

So I'll just leave it at that and not bother with anymore Christian banter.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Religious Hate

Post  F.M.H.B. on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 am

Singlej wrote:Are you kidding ? You HATE Christianity. And you make it known.

Now that's contestable. I don't hate Christianity. I don't even hate god. I just know that Christianity is flawed in many ways and has caused a lot of harm which offsets the good in many other ways. I also feel that using logic and general reasoning that the likelihood of a god existing, let alone the Christian god existing and being the one, is nigh infinitely impossible.

Thus, I see no reason to believe in it.

You obviously do. You're very passionate about it. No one made you sign up on the forum, no one made you go through the membership process, and no one but yourself made you decide to post a reply about what you believe which, let's face it, is on the fringes of what even Christians would accept. Not trying to be harsh with that, just truthful.

You can choose to leave at anytime, and even never post again. But your posts have not really allowed much room for growth either. It's a two way street, and right now your feelings of persecution and my feelings of an unwillingness to listen to what I think is bullshit are both getting in the way of that, which has caused what may have been a perfectly reasonable conversation to derail into inane stupidity and fallacies.

So feel free to leave if you want, but that will again be your choice. Not god's, not mine, not anyone but your's. I'll be sad if you do, because that's giving up, which I believe the bible has a lot in the way of talking about. Take Mathew 24:13 for instance.

Again, it's all ultimately your choice.
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 am

Personally, I think there's a lot of closemindedness and not really any understanding. Everyone thinks they're right and doesn't even try to understand the other side. You might not necessarily agree with the others' viewpoint, but you MUST open your mind, at least for a second or two (it doesn't hurt, I promise) and try to see where they're coming from. I don't believe in the Adam and Eve creation story, I think it's totally bunk, but I'm not going to shoot down every idea because of it. Sometimes you have to humor people to come to understanding.
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:43 am

I know I haven't been on lately, but I agree with Hippiefly. There is too much of "I'm right, you're wrong" and "prove it" attitudes going on around here. I know I'm an offender of such ways.

By the way. I'm going to be on a little more than I have before now that school is rolling along.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:21 am

I'm trying. It gets hard sometimes and I think I just have to recognize that and step away from the keyboard.
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 am

HolyArchangel wrote:I know I haven't been on lately, but I agree with Hippiefly. There is too much of "I'm right, you're wrong" and "prove it" attitudes going on around here. I know I'm an offender of such ways.

This. Also ad hominem attacks and going off topic just to derail someone.
    Basically people are breaking rule #1: Don't be a dick.
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:44 am

Have we all read the Rules of Dialogue that I posted? I know it's kinda a hefty-lookin' read, but you can skip right to the bold parts if you like. Really, I think that's what the big man was going after when he started this....so y'all should hit it up Very Happy (my in-laws are from southeastern texas, sorry :/)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:35 pm