QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

Okay so more poetry than a book, but whatever...

asortafairytale

Okay so more poetry than a book, but whatever...

Post  asortafairytale on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Okay. So. "Charge of the Light Brigade" is my least favorite poem. It just bothers me how often this drivel is glorified and Tennyson is considered all great for it and et cetera.
    It is glorifying one of the worst military failures ever, saying that these people were amazing for following idiotic orders that would obviously lead to their deaths. And then everyone dies. And Tennyson just thinks that this is so great and he is going to write a poem about it.
    I don't like it.
    she

Re: Okay so more poetry than a book, but whatever...

Post  she on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 am

I haven't read it, but know I know to stay clear. >.<
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 am

No! You have to read it to make an opinion about it, don't just take what I think about it as fact! It's important to read, even though I don't like it; it exemplifies how Romantic era poets thought and public opinion and patriotism during the Crimean war.

For people who haven't read it: http://www.ram.org/contrib/the_charge_of_the_light_brigade.html

Sheez
    she

Post  she on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Hmmm. I didn't like the meter (or lack thereof). The poem didn't flow at all- it was as or more halting than normal speech, and that's not how poetry should read.

But that's not what you complained about. You dislike that it glorifies idiotic military decisions, but isn't that common for poetry? Poets like hold up the failed and the fallen so that they don't fade from memory. They like to bring posthumous glory to those who could not attain it in their time. Even the great poets of Antiquity did this- Did Vergil not open his great life's work, The Aeneid, with the complete defeat and destruction of Troy? Did Homer not highlight every failure that befell Odysseus and his crew?

Indeed, could this poem not in fact be an ode to one of the best military successes, but showing it from the other side of the conflict? Is not every battle a victorious, for no matter how many are lost, that many are also won? Really, I see nothing wrong with the subject matter.
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:06 pm

The meter is actually a pretty important part of it...it is supposed to suggest horses charges and whatnot; symbolic meter if you will.

And actually Tennyson was one who often expressed antiwar sentiment, so the fact that he glorified this simply because they were British just seems hypocritical.
    It wasn't that it was a great military success, that implies great skill on the victor's side. The failure of the British during Battle of Balaclava was a result of their own short sightedness and lack of strategy. This is not the sort of victory that can really be counted as "one of the best military successes" as you say.
    The part that I don't like is that he is patriotically glorifying his own nation's idiocy. It is something that I simply cannot understand.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 am