The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

5 posters

New Members

F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

New Members Empty New Members

Post  F.M.H.B. Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:07 pm

This whole thing we have here will only work and allow us to grow if we have a varied variety of opinions and backgrounds, and on that note I want to discuss how new members should be brought about.

Do we do it by invitation only, and then only allow people on here who meet the acceptance of the board at large, or do we open it up to public and just allow for the test to be the only hassle to their being a full member? Additionally, how do we advertise for membership? I am thinking Facebook group and a dedicated amount of people raising interest in the site.

I need ideas for people to get involved, people. Haha. So, do we remain exclusive and only allow those in that we want, or do we open the floodgates? And how do we advertise our desire for more company?
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

New Members Empty Re: New Members

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 pm

I like the idea of advertising on facebook. We could make a group. I also think the forums should be open to the public. Invitation only is seclusive and I feel if we want to expand our horizons, we should be a "join by registering here!" type of group.
    she
    she

Post  she Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Well, having gone through a forum really EXACTLY like this, I can vouch for the invitation only method. Basically, if you wanted to invite someone, it was proposed and then pretty much every time approved by the group at large (We weren't that exclusive; we just wanted to know everyone on the boards were safe). Basically, it kept creepy people off of our topics of conversation. Since we all had a great many number of friends (the socialites we were), it allowed the forum to amass a group of people who were smart enough to keep up, like minded to become friends, and varied enough to make sure it wasn't agreement after agreement. We had some really great discussions that way.

So I vote invitation only. Smile
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm

I agree with She. I think we should be invite only. And I we all know enough people who know enough people that we'd get lots of different perspectives and lots of new people.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:13 am

so if it is going to be invite only how do we proceed from here? I'm honestly new to forums so would we just recruit people we know or what? making a facebook group would be a nice way to get people but we would just have to watch out for flamers and other angry internet people...they have a tendency of ruining everything Rolling Eyes
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:58 pm

But, that is why we have the quiz. The quiz is to allow us to block spammers and trolls. If we just allow our friends to join the forums, we are only hindering the process of development. However, allowing the forums to be public will allow us to prosper.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm

oh! good point archangel. I forgot about the quiz Razz I guess the only concern is will people really join? Sure we can invite our friends but finding permanent members is tough and it is not like we can make posters or something. Will a facebook group be enough to attract people? I like the idea mind you but want this forum to do well and for that to happen we will need more people.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Agreed. A facebook group would be a great idea, but, will be lacking without sufficient advertisement. Right now the only thing we can do is spread the word through friends and hope they will spread word to their friends. Perhaps we can even get a joint agreement with another group. We can see if they will allow us to advertise our group in their site if they would do the same for ours.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 pm

You can make ads on facebook. that will appear on other people's pages.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm