The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

+3
C. Scottie
HolyArchangel
Avalon
7 posters

Apathy

Avalon
    Avalon

Apathy Empty Apathy

Post  Avalon Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:39 pm

So today I was watching the THe Colbert Report (probably not the best way to start a post but whateves) and the oil spill was being discussed and he jokingly said how it wasn't his concern because the oil is in the gulf not not the east or west coast. All jokes aside where did this apathetic mentality come from? I have heard reasons that range from blame the baby boomers for giving their kids whatever they want to kids simply don't care about anything anymore. But both answers seem to simple to encapture the state of mind of a country. Where is the outrage from the 60's and what would have to happen to america to get it back?
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Apathy Empty Re: Apathy

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm confused as to what you are inquiring through this thread.

Are we talking about apathy towards the oil spill? Towards what Colbert said? In general?
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 pm

My honest but admittedly biased opinion?

It comes from being raised with little more than misery over all of the media headings we ever come into contact with. What good news there is rarely has anything to do with, well, anything. We grow up with a mess of all things important, where all we're subjected to is how something ended poorly and how some supposed expert thinks that some other supposed expert is an idiot for thinking blah blah blah. It is a neverending circuit of conflict and namecalling that is so pervasive that, at least in my case, it urges the mind to just shut down and stop caring. The exceptions tend to be people who are raised in families who actively pull in their own information, or who make a point to keep their chin up.

As for making the outrage at incidents like this come back for America... it isn't really an issue involving America itself, as much as it is business IN America. My meaning is, where once the people could have stood up and been angry and made a difference in a situation like the oil spill, now there is simply too much red tape. If people went against those rules, they wouldn't be able to garner as much support as they did before.

It used to be a new thing, a brand new movement that could revitalize those who believed they were being wronged by their government. Now, the majority of the people who once thought that way are tired, and that same weariness rubs off on younger people.

Does that answer your question at all? More insight than proof, but it might offer a new way of looking at things.
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:10 am

I think it stems from a "not in my backyard" mentality. I mean this not in just the "dont throw your trash in my backyard" sense, but also in the "If I am not directly involved in some way (if it's not in my backyard) why should I care?" way. I know this from experience; I once got into a really deep discussion in my HS latin class with the class conservatives, who literally said to me "Why should I be nice to someone if they have nothing to give me?" This spills out (pun totally intended) into things like the spill: "If I'm not going to see any returns in the near future, why should I expend my time, resources, and energy?" People don't do anything because it's the right thing to do anymore. America has dissolved into a greedy, lazy, and selfish society, and those three traits together create apathy. I don't think colbert actually feels that way (the fine christian he is), but his schtick is to imitate the majority of irrational american thought. The fct that he did say that is a scary social commentary on our culture.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am

i'm pretty sure colbert is kidding and Scottie a lot of what you said I agree with. I guess my fear is that this mentality just seems like it will stay in our society forever unless something catastrophic happens. I also think another part of the problem is the focus on elitism instead of decency. There was a time when values would be stressed by parents and schools but now the emphasis lies on perfection. We live in an age where kids can throw parties and trash other people's houses and their parents will let them slide because they want the child to go to harvard. These kids have never been punished and don't value the benefits they have or other people. This lack of gratitude seems to be a major player in today's apathetic world cause if you don't care for your fellow man then why would you care about some spill that is "really really far away"?
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 am

Avalon wrote:I guess my fear is that this mentality just seems like it will stay in our society forever unless something catastrophic happens.

That's the problem, though: something catastrophic HAS happened- and nobody cares.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:53 am

maybe I worded that wrong. Yes what is happening to the environment is....well don't get me started because then this could become an essay Evil or Very Mad what I meant was what happens when all these people without jobs and the idiots who think the south carolina's Nikki Haley is a dirty raghead...what happens when these two groups team up? It is bad enough that the oil spill has ruined the gulf coast for decades+ but social turmoil is really the last thing we need. THAT is what worries me
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I see. I have to admit, the prospect of a clash of the social titan terrifies me. i do the irresponsible thing and try not to think about it. If I encounter someone with incredibly diffrent beliefs from my own, I try to very delicately avoid the topic. But what will happen? i don't know. There is no way to predict the future. I hope to god that it won't come down to a fight. The only way to instigate social change is to change yourself.

i agree with you, though. The era of social protest is gone. I think a lot of it comes ffrom the internet, actually, now that I think about it. I mean really- it used to be if you didn't like something, you went out into the world and did something about it. now a days, if people are dissatisfied, they go online, blog about it, tweet their grievances, make a facebook group, sign an online petition, but they don't DO anything about it. They let their most motivating emotions be wasted on the internet. Perhaps because they are scared of doing anything in real life, just like we are scared to call someone, hear their voice; we would much rather text them or send an email. In a world of instant access and communication, we are secluded into our individual selves, and without outside cntact, we become apathetic to what is not directly infront of us.
    bootblack rudiger
    bootblack rudiger

Post  bootblack rudiger Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm

going back to the not in my backyard bit, it does make sense if you think about it. i mean, have any of you done anything to help curb the disaster? have you gone down to louisiana and joined a volunteer work crew? have you donated (or talked someone with more money than you into donating) money to some kind of cause to save the place? have you at least resolved to drive less?

i mean, it sucks when you see everyone around you starting to lose interest in issues that should be payed attention to. but i mean, it's just how it works. do any of you still think about haiti every day?

if your heart hurts when you think about the gulf then do something about it. go volunteer, sacrifice your time and energy. make positive things happen...

or at least drive a little less...?
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Rudiger is totally right. If you're all griping about the apathy you see, that's just griping not actually doing.

So, get out there and do something.

For donations, start here:

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/gulf-oil-spill-recovery-tips-for-donors-and-volunteers-20081
    http://www.gnof.org/programs/gulf-coast-oil-spill-fund/disaster-on-the-gulf-coast/
    http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/want-to-help-with-the-oil/
    http://www.causes.com/causes/479547

These links give good ideas for donating. The last one is a good one for donations. There are plenty of other charities online as well. Be careful who you donate to, and get out and help.

And to be honest I still think about Katrina, rudiger.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:22 pm

I think the issue with griping about something versus doing something is kind of like when the bell rings and class is out, so all the kids rush the door at the same time. There are a lot of things that need all the help they can get, and you're not likely to see any kind of progress when you join something any time soon. I might donate a hundred dollars, and that money might be hugely important, but without a sense of gratification like you accomplished something then you're left feeling like you messed up and picked the wrong thing. Everytime after that you are a little more leary about helping because there might be another option that needs it more, and then you just get so frustrated with the stress that you bail out. That being why I do my donations and volunteer work to a different organization every year.
    bootblack rudiger
    bootblack rudiger

Post  bootblack rudiger Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:11 pm

F.M.H.B. wrote:

And to be honest I still think about Katrina, rudiger.

well, thats good to know. while i was going to school down in olympia, it seemed like every weekend there would be a different benefit party. one week it was to raise money for a gay rights awareness festival, next it'd be get money for haiti... sometimes it'd be stupid crap like help bail so and so out of jail, he got arrested for spray painting anarchy symbols on buildings.. but ultimately i'd say that i do have faith in kids to get together and give money for better causes...

of course what makes it really easy to milk college kids for money is to get a keg and charge two bucks a round... it's kind of funny to think about actually... college partying might do more good than you think!
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am

rudiger that's BRILLIANT!!!
    heres the plan we go to all the big schools and say we are helping blind orphans! who hates blind orphans we will be rich...I mean well we could give it to charity to....yeah charity.
    But seriously half of the problem is that everyone needs help but I say lets look in our backyards people. How can we help others if our kids can't name a country in europe(true story, very depressing). I'm not saying don't help haiti but let's take care of our own first. Food kitchens are everywhere and you always feel good when your cooking helps people Smile
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Rudiger, if you are who I think you are (and I'm pretty sure you are), you also went to Evergreen, probably one of the most politically active schools in the NW.

Not that I'm saying your point doesn't make sense, but events like that are almost expected to come out of your school. I do think that's a brilliant idea though. If I drank. XD
    bootblack rudiger
    bootblack rudiger

Post  bootblack rudiger Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Hippiefly wrote:Rudiger, if you are who I think you are (and I'm pretty sure you are), you also went to Evergreen, probably one of the most politically active schools in the NW.

Not that I'm saying your point doesn't make sense, but events like that are almost expected to come out of your school. I do think that's a brilliant idea though. If I drank. XD

also? d'jou go there too?
    bootblack rudiger
    bootblack rudiger

Post  bootblack rudiger Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:58 pm

oh wait, no, i misread that. but yeah, i do get what you're saying. it's hard to get other more legitimate universities excited about much other than beer pong and sports... and it'd take a braver person than most to try and get the general population motivated to do good... which i guess has been an ongoing lament in this thread... hmm. maybe this is one of those moments of clarity. rather than hiding in some kind of inner bohemia (or just a hippie college where people care about the same things i care about) i should go out and do more

hmm.. but i have work tomorrow. eh, some other time
    she
    she

Post  she Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 am

rudiger wrote:i should go out and do more

hmm.. but i have work tomorrow. eh, some other time

I hate it, but this is the main problem. I am guilty of it to, make no mistake. But people are forever saying 'eh, later' instead of 'let's make a difference NOW.'
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am

rudiger wrote:
    Hippiefly wrote:Rudiger, if you are who I think you are (and I'm pretty sure you are), you also went to Evergreen, probably one of the most politically active schools in the NW.

also? d'jou go there too?

Not what I meant by "also."

I do hope to go there one day though, when my situation allows.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Well... it seems to me like a bunch of people here want to do something... why don't we try and do something as a group, then? This is a completely different subject, but we all want to be a part of a helping community... put enough of us together and we're bound to get something done, no?
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Personally, I'm already doing something. Later tonight I'll see if I can pull up some more links and stuff. In the meantime, you guys want to brainstorm?

It does no good to think something if you're not going to make something with it.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

I was, but I just finished the LLS project I was doing. Now I don't know where to start again.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Start here: http://www.causes.com/

Ask for the newsletter and for people to contact you. It gives you a bunch of different causes and rallies and donations that are certified. I've gotten very involved with some of the people on there. It is very legitimate. Smile
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Well that's convenient. Thank you kindly!
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm

as a group huh...? wouldn't that be cool if we could make this more than just a forum? "The Colloquium" does have a nice ring to it. and everyone so far sounds fairly intelligent. BUt i guess we would have to find a cause first. Well then quick question if you only had one thing you could give your support to what would it be?
    mine would be to increase eduction in urban areas. then need the help...
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:39 am

In all my ages, no reality lies so heavy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am