The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

+2
hippiefly
she
6 posters

Question About Forum Etiquette

she
    she

Question About Forum Etiquette Empty Question About Forum Etiquette

Post  she Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

So, what's the standard code of conduct when someone makes a grammatical error? I have to say, when people say something incorrectly, it bothers me a lot. Previously, I have included in my response to the post an explanation of what the person did wrong, what what they wrote actually means, and how the sentence should be constructed. This serves a couple purposes. First, it gives me peace of mind over the whole situation. Second, it teaches the people of the forum something useful. I know a lot of people on the internet don't really follow the nitty gritty rules ironed out by Strunk and White, but speaking correctly is not only important on a personal level, but on the whole for our community and country as well, so that communication is not hindered. It is important that you know what you are saying, and mean it when you say it. The Colloquium is, after all, about learning and the spread of knowledge, no? Well, grammar is another piece of knowledge that is in need of sharing.

In the past, however, people have gotten very annoyed with me, fed up with my version of OCD. Perhaps somewhere you could set up a thread meant just for posting grammatical grievances from around the forum. It doesn't even have to be very specific (ex: Somebody said "other's" when they clearly meant "others," because the sentence only made sense if it was plural, not possessive). Any grammar lover could post there, too, not just me. Smile
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Question About Forum Etiquette Empty Re: Question About Forum Etiquette

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Maybe we could have a thread in the Misc. forum purely so we can complain about whatever people do that bother us? Would that suffice for you?
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Also, if you see me post anything that is grammatically incorrect, feel free to PM me with a quote of what I said and how it was incorrect. I always yearn to make my writing better.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:45 pm

I will grammar as bad as I like!
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 pm

No, but serious post here. I agree, I also look for ways to improve my writing. I know my writing is atrocious at times. However, threads to flame are a no-go.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Maybe if we can't have a forum to complain about things, you can PM the person about whatever problems you are having with their grammar? As long as they don't mind, I mean. The last thing we need on here is conflict.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 pm

As long as there is no fighting and harassment, it should be fine.
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Some people might just get tired of getting PMs all the time and won't want to constantly be corrected and might get upset about it.
    she
    she

Post  she Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:47 pm

See, that's the problem, though. People have bad grammar ALL THE TIME, and I while I love to share the correct usages and contrusts, people tend to get mad at me. Sad
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Ahh, she, you are most certainly not the only one. I drive people crazy with corrections.

It should be dealt with privately. If somebody tells you to back off, you bite the bullet and accept that they don't care. From what I see, many are willing to deal with corrections because they want to learn. It is a compromise.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post  Avalon Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 pm

does this mean that every time someone has a mistake in their grammar, another person is going to correct them? In that case do me a favor and do not correct me please. After having a friend that is a complete grammar nazi it just comes across as condescending to me and I will probably get frustrated. So thanks in advance.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 pm

That was exactly my point about saying that it should only be done for those people who want to know their mistakes, Avalon. It is absolutely your call on whether or not you want to be shown your errors. After all, the focus on this group is more for philosophy than english. Unless you do or say something that is so miserably flawed as to prevent the reader from understanding what you meant, then there's no reason it should be a rule or even an expectation that grammar will always be corrected.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Although, if you do decide to point out grammatical errors, don't call them out if they seem like a typo.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:36 pm

We're all learning and growing. If someone makes a mistake, we forgive. If someone insults you in some way, we forgive. If someone corrects your grammar, you accept it and move on. We each have our own tics and quirks that make us who we are. Denying an outlet for them is slavery.

Be open to change is the goal here. If you can't accept someone correcting your grammar and wanting you to be better that way, what type of growth and change can you accept?

Of course, grammar is also constantly evolving. Language does that. So we must also be mindful to not be Nazis and go around judging others by the standards of Mr. Webster or his textual allies.

In summary, allow for growth and change.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am