QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

Vampires (You said miscellaneous)

she

Re: Vampires (You said miscellaneous)

Post  she on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

My favorites are Deathtritus and Dracoliches. Smile

So I think the deal with Vampires is that they are Living Souls(trapped?) in a dead yet animated body, and need blood to stay in that state.

As for the religions thing, Christianity doesn't have really anyone coming back from the dead except OH WAIT JESUS. Smile
    Anything demonesque or creaturely in Christian lore was pretty much absorbed into the Church as the religious leaders converted pagans. Although Christians WERE accused of being cannibals vampires themselves at the beginning of the religion (eating the body/drinking the blood of Christ).
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 am

she wrote:So I think the deal with Vampires is that they are Living Souls(trapped?) in a dead yet animated body, and need blood to stay in that state.

Bingo.

Hippiefly wrote:This sounds like more of a bash on Twilight than an actual response.

Cus it is. Twilight sparklies (can't call them vampires) are just the deranged thought poop of a Mormon idiot trying to use them for her own dumb sub-message.

she wrote:As for the religions thing, Christianity doesn't have really anyone coming back from the dead except OH WAIT JESUS. Smile
    Anything demonesque or creaturely in Christian lore was pretty much absorbed into the Church as the religious leaders converted pagans. Although Christians WERE accused of being cannibals vampires themselves at the beginning of the religion (eating the body/drinking the blood of Christ).

The idea behind Christ's supposed resurrection isn't original either. Talk with the Mesopotamians and Babylonians about that. Hell, the Greeks too for that matter.

Leave the Egyptians out. Hahaha.
    goku518

Post  goku518 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:44 am

she wrote:So I think the deal with Vampires is that they are Living Souls(trapped?) in a dead yet animated body, and need blood to stay in that state.
    This idea originated in Romania and has become the popular notion about vampires in most literature after the 19th century, along with the Slavic folklore of vampires hunting at night, returning to their coffin before sunrise, the victim changing after being bitten, and methods of destroying them. However, in most other cultures of the world, vampires were seen as being many different things, ranging from gods/goddesses, demons that take on female forms to lure in victims, gluttonous monsters seeking blood, revenants that haunted family members and friends, and even a large cat that sucked blood from it's victims' necks. The image of the vampire we know today really didn't originate until the 19th century with Polidori's The Vampyre, Stoker's Dracula, and Le Fanu's Carmilla.

The vampire we know today has a soul and emotions but prior to the 19th century, they were mostly seen as demons or monsters purely driven by their thirst for blood.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 pm