The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

+2
HolyArchangel
F.M.H.B.
6 posters

The Academy Exam

F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

The Academy Exam Empty The Academy Exam

Post  F.M.H.B. Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 am

I was thinking of having some sort of test or exam or method to determine how people transition from initiates to full developing members. This is just a personal idea I had and the logic behind it goes as follows:

If we have a sort of test or way of allowing people to move on from essentially only being able to post in the current guest viewable sections then that would allow us to keep out people who just want to troll and who join up for one talk and then die off. I want this place to be serious and fun, but my desires are second to the grand whim of the members.

So, the question here is twofold: should we allow members to automatically view every section of the forum just by signing up, and if not how do we determine when a person is ready or should be allowed to gain access to the other areas?
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

The Academy Exam Empty Re: The Academy Exam

Post  HolyArchangel Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Well, back when I used to be a part of the group/forum called WFS, our admin gave all mods permission to see certain parts of the website. For example, mods could access mod a mod discussion thread in case things got out of hand and when they wanted to discuss future plans for the website. If anything, full-fledged members should access everything except for everything that retains to mods and admins.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

HolyArchangel wrote:For example, mods could access mod a mod discussion thread in case things got out of hand and when they wanted to discuss future plans for the website.

For example, mods could access mod discussion threads in case things got out of hand and when they wanted to discuss future plans for the website. Also, would be nice to have an edit button for our posts.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Mods (or Pacifiers and Arbiters as they are called on this site) both have the powers you describe. I am just waiting for more activity to get them picked.

Also, you still really haven't answered either of the two questions really. Lol.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Well excuuuuse me princess. Just kidding. So, I think any members should have viewing access of all threads, however, they are limited so they cannot post in said threads. Also, if you decide to take a different route and give members limited access for posting AND thread viewing, you can give them full viewing and partial posting access as a reward by setting a "# of posts" goal for each member to try to achieve.
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:46 pm

I agree with the #oP method. I was a regular on the TESNexus forums for a while and they actually had a full fledged leveling system with many titles before you were granted modship. You advanced from a novice (>10 posts) and eventually earned the title of moderator (~1000+ posts) So you get the idea. XD
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:40 pm

It is a great idea. It shows how involved you are with the forums. Also, through further investigation, it can show how much speaking power you have in the forums. The more you post, the higher your renown is. Eventually, everyone will start recognizing your name and your position. It's only fair to reward that with something more. Within reason, of course.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:23 pm

I agree, and I've implemented that leveling system on this site as such. The first level is called initiate, but how do people pass from just a registered user to a full member? I think there should be some way to keep out one time posters who only want to disrupt things or spam, flame or troll, you catch my drift?

So an exam to advance you from initiate to novice (full member with posting capabilities) is what I thought. But what should the exam cover, should it be an exam, or how do we determine the move from initiate to full, advancing member?
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Ah, I see. I think you should have the test cover basic topics about the website, like directories!
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 am

Ya, having a firm grasp of format would be the only way to really know if someone is dedicated to the forum. It have to involve intricacies too, so not just the standard, "What are mods called?" question, but general knowledge of the site's content and an introduction too.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:57 am

I agree with the idea that everyone should be able to view everything. It lets them know what they're getting into, and keeps them from thinking the website is something else entirely. No posting rights, of course, but at least they're aware. Not to mention that, in my case at least, I'd be very determined to add my opinion and my ideas if it meant letting me into a particularly relevant topic that I wanted to discuss.

The only flaw I see for the number of posts idea is that people might post many small, irrelevant messages in the Misc. board, where the Pacifiers and Arbiters are less inclined to bring the hammer down if only because it is the most informal section of the website. People will want to converse in a relaxed setting, and that shouldn't give them a gateway into the formal wings.

I think that, and this may seem small, anybody who wants to get into the serious debates should be willing to give their full name out to at least a moderator. This way, they can personally approve if they know the person and honestly believe them to be competent, ask around if they don't, and clearly identify the people trying to join who have clearly made-up names and may be trolling. I doubt people will actively be stumbling across this website, so in theory, you could set up a situation where they have to be pre-approved by a member of the site who is already in the upper tiers. Think of it as something like applying for a doctorate. As we get more people, you seek out a person to represent you to the greater authority on the website, and they talk it out to see if you would make a good addition. The idea is complicated, but it allows the moderators to get a decent idea of a person and the social network of people involved in the site, so they might be a little more prepared for what may come in the future from those members.

Er... did any of that make any sense?
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:59 pm

C. Scottie wrote:
    The only flaw I see for the number of posts idea is that people might post many small, irrelevant messages in the Misc. board, where the Pacifiers and Arbiters are less inclined to bring the hammer down if only because it is the most informal section of the website. People will want to converse in a relaxed setting, and that shouldn't give them a gateway into the formal wings.

Even though the Miscellaneous board is meant to be random and relaxing, the post still needs to adhere to the topic of the thread. I do, however, understand what you are getting at. That is why if we want to do number of posts as the point for modship or promotions, the miscellaneous board should not be included in post counts. But, if Riley decides to split the Miscellaneous board into Theatron and Parthenon, as the possibility was previously considered, then the mods would have a code as to what is inappropriate on those boards.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:29 pm

That seems like sound logic to me. Any posts deemed irrelevant can simply be removed completely, and will not count towards a promotion. Although, I do think that there should be a limit on how far sheer numbers will take you, also. You can't get from the bottom rung to the top based purely off of how often you post. While I'm sure that goes without saying, I figure it is still best to say, just in case. Very Happy
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Very true! I think we could make it so you can work to the lowest tier of moderators, but, the Admin can promote you to higher tiers of moderation depending on how much the Admin trusts you and how you interact in the forum.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 pm

In addition to the number of posts, I also have a lock on which groups can be joined. So by just posting little messages just to boost your post number will get you nothing. You also have to be approved to the first group by a mod to even begin progressing via post numbers.

Make sense?
    hippiefly
    hippiefly

Post  hippiefly Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I like Scottie's idea (I'm such a follower Razz) of having to have a representative or something. I said something like that in one of the other technical threads concerning how public the forum should be.
    The idea of an exam about the site itself seems kind of daunting to me. I don't pay much attention to fine things like that, regardless of if I'm on every day or not. I get on to talk, not memorize all the details of the site.
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

How about we have it based on popularity?

Site Celebrities are obviously going to be dedicated posters and after the current moderator staff has deemed then worthy enough to join their ranks we can watch that person get elevated. That way we negate all the messy conotations of a test, and don't have to worry about ridiculous scripting for post counters. And the site basically is the moderators/founders anyway, so it should be their choice as to whom they decide to share it with.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:12 pm

I think it'd be cool to have site celebrities, but we shouldn't mod someone by popularity. That sort of killed the last group I was in. But, I do like FMHB's idea.
    killlroy99
    killlroy99

Post  killlroy99 Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 am

I'm liking the entire idea of an exam... if all goes well and this site gets bigger, we can always just group people into where their arguments are best fitted Razz
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:31 am

I think the test is basically going to be one to do just what I wanted it to do: keep out non-thinking bots and people who just want to flame and spam.

I'll work on it tonight. No worries guys and gals. The only thing you'll need to study for this exam is yourself. ;D
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:49 am

That makes perfect sense. You think you've got a satisfactory plan there, ser Marshall?
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 am

Yes. And I think this will serve the dual purpose of getting people started thinking (not that we already aren't doing that, but thinking more rather) and keeping out flaming trolls of spam.

Win-win. Very Happy
    killlroy99
    killlroy99

Post  killlroy99 Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 pm

What if an active user decides... to troll for a little while Very Happy
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:20 am

Depends on how it is done, but that is for another conversation at another time.
    HolyArchangel
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:08 am

As long as the trolling is not stupid. I don't want to see "u mad" or "ur a fagt. derp" type trolling on forums where intelligent discussions are taking place. It ruins the atmosphere of the place. However, if that happened in Misc., it would not bother me as much.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:10 am