The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

3 posters

Edit Button

Poll

To edit or not to edit?

[ 2 ]
    Edit Button I_vote_lcap33%Edit Button I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Edit Button I_vote_lcap17%Edit Button I_vote_rcap [17%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Edit Button I_vote_lcap50%Edit Button I_vote_rcap [50%] 

Total Votes: 6
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Edit Button Empty Edit Button

Post  F.M.H.B. Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:31 pm

The three choices are edit, edit limited, and no edit. My original intention for not including the ability to edit was so that members would be completely accountable for all of their posts, and would have to really think before they posted. My intention for this place was for it to be a thought provoking place where people would think before they wrote. After all, when you speak you do not get to go back and later edit which words you said. It would require and explanation or a lie at a later date to explain what you said.

Now, this is just my personal idea about no editing. It keeps people accountable and from just going on autopilot. We could have limited editing for certain areas, like the Aristotelean Wing and the Socratic Wing, but keep editing out of the really heavy areas like the Platonic and Lincoln. Or we could have editing relegated to people who had posted often, like 200 posts or something like that.

We could also just put in full editing. Either way, as always, it is the will of the group which will dictate how this goes. This was just my thinking in keeping back the edit button.
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Edit Button Empty Re: Edit Button

Post  TheSpaniard777 Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:50 pm

More words (not literally, but the most two people talk) = More understanding

If you screw up, who cares? Just explain yourself after someone brings it up. That's how this stuff works. Remember, nothing you will EVER say is wrong, unless you mistate quotes or incorrectly state facts as these two things are proven; however, EVERYTHING is open for interpretation. Give your views, and if someone doesn't get it or it comes out wrong, try again a different way.
    C. Scottie
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 am

I'm with Spaniard (provided there's no problem in shortening his/her screen name! Very Happy) on this one, if only because the worst situation one could run into is one where they either simply have to re-read their post, or re-read something someone else had written so they can keep up an on-target argument. Both of these things should be done regardless of if they think they've done a good job or not. At first glance, I liked the idea of being able to edit, but after thinking about it I believe it is a safefall for people to get sloppy. A little extra work will be good for the masses. Smile
    TheSpaniard777
    TheSpaniard777

Post  TheSpaniard777 Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:42 am

Lol. No problem Scottie, and I'm a guy. XD If you are who I think you are, then we actually know each other too. =P

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am