The Colloquium

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

4 posters

HeSheItWeThey

HeSheItWeThey
    HeSheItWeThey

HeSheItWeThey Empty HeSheItWeThey

Post  HeSheItWeThey Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Username: HeSheItWeThey
    Political Beliefs: I am very liberal and believe everyone has an equal say.
    Religious Beliefs: Pagan/Wiccan
    Other Hobbies/Interests/Etc.: I spend my days studying for my future.
    Why did you come here?: It was recommended by a good friend of mine.
    What do you hope to gain?: I hope to gain some of the knowledge of the world.
    What do you hope to give?: I hope to inspire equality for all people.
    Anything else?: What else would there be?
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

HeSheItWeThey Empty Re: HeSheItWeThey

Post  F.M.H.B. Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 am

Welcome! Haha. Pretty multi-faceted name you have there. Why'd you pick it?
    HeSheItWeThey
    HeSheItWeThey

Post  HeSheItWeThey Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 am

It's a representation of all people. Everyone falls into one or more of those parts, yet many don't seem to realize that. Most people believe that all people can be represented simply by defining them as a man or a woman. I have personally met people who do not wish to be referred to as a man or woman.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 pm

As have I. but is "it" really an appropriate label? Now, labels are just that, and I have similar feelings about the word "I" as I think you do with gender labels. But we don't have adequate labels for somethings that people wish to be called.

Not saying labels should be used, but it does allow for ease of speech. So if alternate gender indentifications are ever going to become mainstream, what words will we use and how will we go about it?
    she
    she

Post  she Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:58 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is there besides Man (he), Woman (she), and Gender Neutral (it)?
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Androgynes, hermaphrodites, transgenders (of which there are varying combinations), genderqueers, asexuals, trigenders, and many other third, and even fourth genders.

The hijra of Southeast Asia are an excellent example of third gender integration into main culture. Just to give an example.
    goku518
    goku518

Post  goku518 Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Another example are the Xanith of Sohar. They're considered a third gender in their society. Although born male, they choose to play a feminine role in society but can decide to eventually marry and once again attain a male role.
    HeSheItWeThey
    HeSheItWeThey

Post  HeSheItWeThey Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Well, I'm not sure what labels should be used. Although, many people are fine with using the term gender-queer for anyone who is not bound to the man, woman labels. However, there is negativity to the term due to having queer as part of the term. Because of that, me and several other people use the term gender-neutral. As to which is the better term, it is best decided among the people. The term that should be used is one that those who are members of the community feel comfortable with.
    she
    she

Post  she Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Okay, I understand Transgendered, but they usually refer to themselves as their preferred gender, right? And I get Hermaphrodites; I am excluding them and non-western culture traditions (that is to say, I understand about the hijra and the Xanith, but they are not about what I am asking). As for Asexuality, the asexuals I know still refer to the gender they are as their own.

But other than that, I really don't get it. The terms "man" and "woman" are meant to distinguish between people with male reproductive parts and female reproductive parts. I think what people are really trying to avoid is being forced into "masculine" and "feminine" roles, correct? I understand not wanting to be labeled, but you don't need to accept the societal roles associated with a gender to be that gender. e.g. I am a woman, but I don't "act" like a woman (seriously- just ask my roommate). For that matter, I don't "act" like a man, either. I just act like me.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that the idea of finding a new term to use is bad- I just want to know why you feel the need to come up with words like "Androgynes," "bigendered," and "Trigendered." Is this coming out of some overzealous use of political correctness?

I also understand that when it comes down to it, it is up to the individual to decide what to be called.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm

No. It's not at all fueled by political correctness. It's scientific terms. There is a VERY big difference between androgynes and hermaphrodite. I met a "man" once who chose neither to be called by man, or woman. It preferred the term nuetral. Why? Because our Western bias often doesn't cover thia third gender feeling.

People born with both parts in many cultures were considered very rare and powerful, as they represented not only a bridge between femanine and masculine, but an entirely new gender as well. many third genders don't act one way or the other. They are forever separate.

These revered third genders specifically were also thought of as a very powerful spiritual presence, god-like even. Old cultures and many of today's have powerful spiritual connections between the gender psyches and apiritual forces. The representation of a thrid unifying gender was the arising of a new spiritual force. It is only in our highly categorzed Western culture that this beautiful distinction is seen as bad and something undesireable. And when I say only, I mean it.
    HeSheItWeThey
    HeSheItWeThey

Post  HeSheItWeThey Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:57 pm

The desire for different labels also come from many people who prefer not to be called man or woman. Not just those who have the reproductive parts of both. For example there are a number from the gay and lesbian community who prefer not to be labeled as man or woman. They have the reproductive parts of one or the other but they just prefer being called gender-neutral or gender-queer.
    F.M.H.B.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Word. Like many words, label has many meanings. Labels are things you buy from clothing outlets mostly, and also things we use to talk easily amongst one another to arrive on common understanding of subject.

Unfortunately in Western cultures and elsewhere, these two specific meanings of the word label are often confused, causing dire situations and outcomes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:27 am